Coventry speedway stadium owners insist security measures are adequate

The owners of Brandon Stadium have insisted they have taken reasonable steps to secure the site - despite travellers repeatedly setting up illegal camps on the land, vandalism of buildings and a turnstile block being destroyed by fire.

A puppy was also found trapped in a storage room after the latest in a series of traveller encampments was moved on by police this week.


Save Coventry Speedway campaigner Jeff Davies told the Telegraph residents in the area have been left “terrified” and are “living in fear” following a fire at the stadium this week, which police believe was started deliberately.

In light of recent events, the Telegraph put questions to land owners Brandon Estates about the security arrangements in place.

Brandon Estates
A spokesman for Brandon Estates said: “The security measures that Brandon Estates Ltd have put in place are precisely those recommended by Rugby Borough Council and its independent legal barrister.

“A great number of measures have been implemented, strictly in accordance with the advice from Rugby Borough Council, including staging the entrance to the stadium, fitting special locks and a VPS alarm system, a security team who visit the site daily, erasing the signs saying Coventry Speedwayand erecting numerous signs warning of the danger of being on the site.

“Brandon Estates are concerned that gypsies entered the site, and that a fire was started. Brandon Estates assures speedway fans and all members of the public that efforts will be made to ensure that no further fires break out on site.

“West Midlands Police have issued a Notice pursuant to Section 61 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994 to remove the gypsies and to ensure no further illegal incursions.”

Council
Rugby Borough Council slapped a Community Protection Notice on the land in September, 2017. That included a condition that the site must be secured against encroachments by travellers.

But it has emerged that the notice is not yet active after Brandon Estates, which is in the process of applying to build 137 houses on the site, has appealed against having to conform to the notice. A hearing in relation to that is scheduled for next month.

A spokesman for Rugby Borough Council previously told the Telegraph: “The council served a Community Protection Notice on Brandon Estates on September 26, 2017. The terms of the notice included securing the stadium site.

“Brandon Estates has lodged an appeal against the notice, with a court hearing scheduled to take place on February 6, 2018. However, talks between the council and Brandon Estates are continuing in an attempt to reach an amicable agreement to achieve compliance with the notice.”

Security
Mr Davies said he had concerns about how well the site had been secured.

He told the Telegraph: “Residents are terrified, they are living in fear. This has been made possible because of the owners’ failure to secure the site.

“There are three gates to that stadium for vehicle access. All they have to do is secure those three gates.

“It’s shocking and heartbreaking that this has been allowed to happen right in front of us.”

© 2017 Vannyradio.com All Rights Reserved. web infrastructure:softandstorage.com